Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I hire a VACC apprentice?
Register your interest with VACC Auto Apprenticeships, and a Field Officer will contact you about potential candidates available.
2. Do I need to release the apprentice from work for TAFE?
An apprentice/trainee will need to attend TAFE or an RTO at regular intervals for the duration of their training contract. Depending on the training arrangement, TAFE training may occur once a week or 1 week block release, 4-9 weeks per year. The rest of the time is spent in the workplace.
3. What costs are involved?
You will only need to pay an hourly charge-out rate according to the hours worked by the apprentice/trainee within your workplace. For a full list of what VACC looks after, see Employers - How it Works
4. How much is the apprentice or trainee paid?
As per Award conditions, for more information please contact VACC. Apprentices are employed under the Vehicle Manufacturing Repair Services & Retail Award 2010. Trainees are employed under National Training Wage Award.
5. How does the VACC recruit its apprentices/trainees?
- Step 1: Applications are thoroughly reviewed to meet strict selection criteria
- Step 2: Shortlisted applicant(s) interviewed by a VACC Field Manager -If successful:
- Step 3: Applicant to complete and pass key areas of an aptitude test
- Step 4: Full medical assessment
- Step 5: 1-2 day induction